The last weeks Microsoft released some new and updated management packs
System Center Management Pack for Windows 8 Client Operating System
- Key Processor Performance Indicators
- Logical and Physical disk performance and free space
- Memory utilization
- Network health
- Health monitoring of key Windows Operating System services
- Comprehensive performance collections
- Availability and event reports
System Center Monitoring Pack for Microsoft Application Virtualization Server 5.0
- Discovery of the Application Virtualization 5.0 Services: Management, Publishing, Reporting
- Alerts indicating availability/configuration/security issues that require administrative intervention
- Collection Rules defined for significant events in ETW logs of each App-V 5.0 Service
- Verification that dependent NT services are running
- Notification of security issues involving admin access attempts, admin added/deleted on App-V 5.0 Management Server
System Center Management Pack for Windows Azure Fabric – Preview
The Management Pack for Windows Azure Fabric enables you to monitor the availability and performance of Azure fabric resources that are running on Windows Azure. The management pack runs on a specified proxy agent and then uses various Windows Azure APIs to remotely discover and collect instrumentation information about a specified Windows Azure resource, such as a Cloud Service, Storage or Virtual Machine. The Management Pack for Windows Azure Fabric provides no functionality on import. For each Windows Azure subscription that contains Azure resources you want to monitor, you must configure discovery and monitoring by first using the Windows Azure wizard in the administration section of the OM Console, then the Windows Azure Monitoring template in the authoring section of the OM Console.
System Center Management Pack for Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Parallel Data Warehouse Appliance
The following list gives an overview of the features of this management pack for PDW Appliance. Refer to the Management Pack for SQL Server 2012 PDW Appliance guide for more details.
- Discovers SQL Server PDW Appliances, including the hardware manufacturer.
- Monitors both hardware and software components of SQL Server PDW Appliance. This includes:
- The ability to roll up the overall health information across hardware and software components.
- The ability to detect and monitor nodes that belong to different SQL Server PDW failover clusters.
- Custom diagram view to visually represent the PDW appliance hierarchy comprising of hardware and software components. This includes these three views:
- Appliance view – high level health information of the overall appliance health and their individual nodes
- Appliance nodes – view to represent the health of each of the nodes and their roles.
- Alerts view –view for the IT operator to look at proactive monitoring alerts and take appropriate actions.
- Custom e-mail template to provide more detailed information regarding the alerts.
- Tasks to integrate with the various PDW admin console views.
- Run-as profile to securely connect to PDW appliance for discovery and monitoring.
System Center Management Pack for Windows Server DNS
The System Center Management Pack for Windows Server DNS monitors DNS health, availability, configuration, security, and zone-transfer issues on DNS servers running the Windows Server 2003 and Windows Server 2008, 2008 R2 and Windows Server 2012 operating systems.
Note This Management Pack is intended to completely replace the functionality of the previous DNS Management Pack, and as such it is not backwards compatible with them. The old and new management packs can live side-by-side, so you can uninstall the old MP’s if/when you are comfortable with the new Management Pack.
Yesterday Microsoft released management packs for Windows Server 2012. Now to the big problem, the only supported version to run on Windows Server 2012 is SCOM2012 SP1 and this service pack in still in beta. The SCOM2012 RTM agent can be installed on Windows 2012 and monitor the server(Except from APM monitoring of applications hosted on IIS8 which requires SP1). Unfortunately Microsoft has decided to not update SCOM 2007 R2 to support monitor Windows Server 2012.
More information on the Windows server 2012 support statement from the System Center team
Download System Center 2012 Monitoring Pack for Microsoft Windows Server 2012 AD RMS
Download System Center 2012 Monitoring Pack for Microsoft Windows Server 2012 Internet Information Service 8
Download System Center 2012 Monitoring Pack for Microsoft Windows Server AD CS 2012
Download System Center Monitoring Pack for Windows Server Operating System
Microsoft just released two new authoring tools for System Center 2012, one focused for developers and one for a more dag&drop admins (like me). Below you find more information about the tools.
Overview of System Center 2012 Visual Studio Authoring Extensions—VSAE
The System Center 2012 Visual Studio Authoring Extensions—VSAE—is an add-in for Visual Studio 2010 Professional provides Lifecycle Management Tools to support Management Pack Authoring.
- VS Projects for Monitoring MPs, System Center 2012 MPs including Operations Manager and Service Manager.
- MP Item Templates for quick creation of MP Items.
- XML MP Item Templates (generates MP XML for editing).
- Template Group Item Templates (Abstract your intent from MP XML).
- Snippet Templates (generates MP XML from CSV)
- IntelliSense for MP XML for the following versions:
- System Center Operations Manager 2007 R2
- System Center 2012 Operations Manager
- System Center 2012 Service Manager
- Integrates into Visual Studio Project System with *.mpproj.
- Enables building within VS & MSBuild.
- Supports custom build tasks (simply edit *.mpproj or *.sln)
- Build multiple MPs (multiple *.mpproj) in a solution.
- Integrates into any VS supported Source Control systems.
- MP Navigation Features
- Management Pack Browser for browsing MP Items.
- Go to Definition
- Find All References
- ResKit Tools integrated
- Workflow Simulator
- Generate Visio Diagram
- MP Best Practice Analyzer
- MP Spell Checker
- MP Cookdown Analyzer
Download the System Center 2012 Visual Studio Authoring Extensions for x86 and/or x64
Documentation for the VSAE is available in the TechNet Wiki.
Overview of System Center 2012 Visio MP Designer—VMPD
The System Center 2012 Visio MP Designer—VMPD—is an add-in for Visio 2010 Premium that allows you to visually design a System Center Operations Manager Core Monitoring Management Pack. VMPD generates a Management Pack that is compliant to the MP Authoring Best Practices by simply dragging and dropping Visio shapes to describe your application architecture and configuring them through the Shape Properties.
- Visually describe your application architecture which generates classes and discoveries.
- Visually add monitoring to create monitors and rules.
- Start quickly from our pre-canned single server and multi-server patterns.
Download The System Center 2012 Visio MP Designer for x86 and/or x64
Documentation for VMPD is available in the TechNet Wiki
As of last week, you can now download and evaluate the RC of SCOM 2012. The new features are (cut from download site):
Operations Manager 2012 has a new Setup wizard. For important instructions about how to install Operations Manager 2012, see Install Operations Manager 2012 Beta.
- Highly Available Management Group Out of the Box
In Operations Manager 2012, all management servers are peers; there is no root management server. The workload is split among all management servers in a management group, which provides high availability without requiring a cluster.
- Resource pools
A resource pool provides the ability to distribute workloads across multiple management servers, such as availability, network device monitoring, distributed monitor health rollup, and group calculation.
- Agent Configuration
Operations Manager 2012 provides an easy method for configuring agents to report to multiple management servers by adding an Operations Manager Agent application to Control Panel on each agent-managed computer.
- Operations Console
You will notice some subtle changes to the Operations console. The Actions pane is now the Tasks pane, and includes a new section called Navigation Tasks that makes it easy for you to open views for a selected object. The Tasks pane offers two tabs: one for actions and one for resources and Help links. The Navigation and Tasks panes can be hidden or revealed instantly by clicking the arrow in the title bar of the pane.
- Web console
Operations Manager 2012 introduces a new Web console. In Operations Manager 2012, all Operations Manager views are available in the Web console.
- Network monitoring
Operations Manager 2012 provides the ability to discover and monitor network routers and switches, including the network interfaces and ports on those devices and the virtual LAN (VLAN) that they participate in. You can also delete discovered network devices and prevent the deleted network devices from being rediscovered the next time discovery runs. For more information, see Monitor Network Devices.
- Application monitoring
In Operations Manager 2012, you can monitor ASP.NET applications in server- and client-side environments to get details about application availability and performance. Configure monitoring settings, such as polling frequency and transaction threshold. Then use results, including how frequently a problem is occurring, how a server was performing when a problem occurred, and the distributed chain for a transaction in question to pinpoint problems and solutions. For more information, see Monitor a .NET Application.
- Dashboard views
As part of the network monitoring and application monitoring capabilities, Operations Manager 2012 includes new comprehensive dashboard views that combine multiple panels of information into a single view. In Operations Manager 2012, you can add the new dashboard views to My Workspace.
- Display dashboard views using SharePoint
The Operations Manager web part displays specified dashboard views and can be added to Microsoft SharePoint 2010 sites. For more information, see Add a Dashboard View to a SharePoint Site.
- Creating dashboard views
Dashboard views have been significantly upgraded in Operations Manager 2012 from their capabilities in Operations Manager 2007 R2, including custom layouts and nested dashboard views. For more information, see Create a Dashboard View.
- Operations Manager Module for Windows PowerShell
Operations Manager 2012 provides a Windows PowerShell 2.0 module containing a full set of new cmdlets. The cmdlets in this module are only compatible with Operations Manager 2012. You can recognize the Operations Manager 2012 cmdlets by the "SC" preceding the noun. For additional information about the Operations Manager 2012 cmdlets, open the Operations Manager command shell and type Get-Help about_OpsMgr_WhatsNew. For information about how the Operations Manager 2007 cmdlets map to the Operations Manager 2012 cmdlets, type Get-Help about_OpsMgr_Cmdlet_Names.To use the Operations Manager 2012 cmdlets, you must establish a connection to an Operations Manager management group. You can establish either a persistent connection in which you can run multiple cmdlets, or a temporary connection when running a single cmdlet. For more information about connections, open the Operations Manager Shell and type Get-Help about_OpsMgr_Connections.
- UNIX- and Linux-based computers
In Operations Manager 2012, the Discovery Wizard is easier to use for discovering UNIX- and Linux-based computers. You can now use Windows PowerShell to manage UNIX- and Linux-based computers, for more information, see the UNIX and Linux section in the release notes. High availability is also supported.
- UNIX/Linux Shell Command Template Management Pack
This Management Pack implements authoring templates that allow the creation of rules, tasks, and monitors based on execution of shell commands on UNIX/Linux agents.
- JEE Management Packs
These management packs monitor JEE (Java Enterprise Edition) application servers. Management packs are available for IBM WebSphere, Oracle WebLogic, Red Hat JBoss and Apache Tomcat.
“Upgrades from RC to RTM in *any* scenario will not be supported by Microsoft support unless the customer is part of the TAP program for the specific product that they are trying to upgrade. Only TAP customers are licensed to run pre-RTM software in production.”
Download SCOM 2012 RC from Microsoft
Four of the Dell MP’s has been updated in the last weeks. Please download and read the guides to get started.
- Support for PS5000, PS5500, PS4000, PS4100, PS6000, PS6010, PS6100, PS6500 and PS6510 Arrays
- Support for EqualLogic firmware upto 5.1
- Support for Storage Pool Monitoring
- Ability to turn on/off detailed monitoring for scalability
Download Dell EqualLogic Storage Management Pack Suite for SCOM, v.4.1, A00
- Support for latest Dell Printers
Dell Printer Management Pack for System Center Operations Manager, v.4.1, A00
- Supports OpenManage Client Instrumentation (OMCI) 7.8, OMCI 8.0 and OMCI 8.0.1.
- Provides launch of remote desktop console for Dell Clients.
- Provides support to display Manufacture Ship date and Battery Part numbers of
the Dell Client.
Download Dell Client Management Pack for Microsoft System Center Operations Manager, v.4.1, A00
- Scalability and performance improvements over the previous releases.
Support for the following MD Storage devices: MD3200, MD3200i, MD3220, MD3220i, MD3600i,MD3620i, MD3600f, and MD3620f.
- Revised and updated knowledge articles for recovery failures.
- Launching the Dell Discovery Utility from the SCOM console.
- Option for Scalable or Detailed Monitoring.
Dell MD Storage Array Management Pack Suite for System Center Operations Manager, v.4.1, A00
and if you want the 4.1 version for servers you can download the
Dell Management Pack for Microsoft System Center Operations Manager, v.4.1, A00
An important update has been released by Microsoft – CU5. Below you find what’s updated since CU4 (note that CU5 included all fixes so you don’t need to install any other CU’s):
- Restart of non-Operations Manager services when the agent is updated.
- Updated ACS reports.
- TCP Port Probe incorrectly reports negative ping latency.
- MissingEvent Manual Reset Monitor does not work as expected.
- Drill-through fails due to rsParameterTypeMismatch in the EnterpriseManagementChartControl.
- ACS – Event log message is truncated or corrupted in SCDW.
- UI hang caused by SDK locking.
- ACS Filter fails for certain wildcard queries.
- Edit Schedule button is disabled with SQL Server 2008 R2.
- Web console is timing out while opening the left navigation tree.
- Scheduled Reports view for Windows Server 2003 and SQL SRS 2005 SP3 CU9 – returns System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
- Signed MPs cannot be imported when new attributes are added to existing classes.
Download CU5 from Microsoft
Good post about CU5 from Kevin Holman
Microsoft has released System Center Operations Manager 2012 beta to the public. Some of the new cools features are:
- No more single point of failure – RMS is gone
- Rich application performance monitoring and diagnostics for .NET applications plus JEE application health monitoring
- Support for monitoring heterogeneous environments
- Integrated network device monitoring and alerts
- Simplified management infrastructure
- Common console across datacenter and clouds with customizable dashboards
- High Availability for UNIX/Linux and Network Devices monitoring
- …and a lot more
Download OM2012 from Microsoft
Microsoft has now released cumulative update 4 (CU4). Since my good friend Marnix Wolf already written a nice post about it I will just link to that.
Since the release of Opsmgr R2 we got the x-plat support but it doesn’t support all of the Linux flavors. The good new is that we now have two new community MPs for Debian and Ubunto.
Read more about it from System Center Central site
As of now Microsoft support running System Center Operations Manager 2007 R2 on SQL 2008 Sp2.
Read more on the Operations Manager Team blog