Microsoft just released the Update 1 beta for MDT 2010. MDT 2010 Update 1 provides new capabilities, such as:
· Support for Microsoft Office 2010.
· A new User-driven Installation (UDI) deployment method (formerly known as “Modena”) for Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager 2007. UDI gives information technology (IT) staff control over the deployment experience while empowering users to interact with and customize their operating system deployment through an easy-to-use wizard.
· Improvements to the Deployment Workbench driver import process, detecting each driver’s true supported platforms.
· Many bug fixes and other small improvements.
Register and download the Update from Microsoft Connect Site
This week Microsoft released the first update to Microsoft Deployment (the replacement for Business Desktop Deployment 2007). At the same time, they decided to change the name to Microsoft Deployment Toolkit 2008 (MDT). The update includes both fixes and new features:
- Support for Vista Service Pack 1
- Full support for Windows Server 2008
- Additional Actions including Configure DHCP, Authorize DHCP, Configure DNS, and Configure ADDS during server deployment
- New scripts that will automate the installation of Mass Storage Drivers for Windows XP and Windows 2003 Systems
- Ability to use a WSUS server for the Windows Update script
- Improved performance for the PXE Filter for System Center Configuration Manager unknown computer support
- Improved documentation including a new Quick Start Guide for System Center Configuration Manager and a guide for implementing the Management Pack for System Center Operations Manager
PS! From what I can see, the new automatic installation of mass storage drivers for XP and Windows Server 2003 is only during the unattended installation (when you create the master image). I was really hoping they would add this function so you don’t need to rebuild the master image every time you get a new storage controller:-(
Download Microsoft Deployment Toolkit 2008