If you are a Windows Intune user you probably know that to be able to test managing Windows Phone 8 you need a special certificate from Symantec and to get this you also need to have a special Windows Phone developer account. This has been a lot of hassle for people that just want to test the functionally or to demo it. In May Microsoft released a “Support tool” that included a presigned Company Portal that you could install and upload in SCCM and you were all set to start testing enrolling Windows Phones. The problem were that this support tool only worked if you used SCCM+Intune, not if you were a user of the Standalone Window Intune service. The good news is that from today, the Support Tools also work for everyone that want to test Windows Phone 8 management in Windows Intune Standalone service.
Update 2013-12-10 – New version of the “Support Tool for Windows Intune Trial Management of Window Phone 8”
Here is the basic steps
- Log in to your Windows Intune Trial account via http://manage.microsoft.com
- Install the MSI that you download from Microsoft Download Center It will extract the sample SSP.xap and other sample xap files included in the MSI. The default location for the files is “C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Support Tool for Windows Intune Trial management of Windows Phone 8\” Note: The support tool included in the package is not needed for Windows Intune administrators. It is required for only Microsoft System Center 2012 Configuration Manager Administrators.
- Navigate to "Administration -> Mobile Device Management -> Windows Phone 8". As stated in the text (see below, go directly to step 5
- Upload the SSP.xap. Windows Intune Software Publisher will be launched.
- In Software Setup page, leave the checkbox “Use the Company Portal App file signed by the sample Symantec code-signing certificate” checked.
- Specify the location of software setup files by pointing to the SSP.xap that you’ve downloaded and extracted on your local machine
- Click on next to complete the rest of the steps to publish the app
- After completion of the steps above, Windows Intune Windows Phone Trial account enrollment is enabled and you should be able to start enrolling your Windows Phone devices through your trial account.
- Deploy the sample apps provided in this package as appropriate
- Users will now be able to enroll their WP8 device and could browse the deployed sample apps in their SSP.
To enroll a Windows Phone 8, follow the below steps
- On the Phone, go to Settings and select “Company Portal”
- Click “Add account”
- Add your account name and password
- If everything works you should get a confirmation that the account has been added. Make sure to select to install the company portal
- Your device is now added and can be managed from Windows Intune (can take a couple of minutes until you can see it in the console